First degree in Mathematics and Physics at the Technion.
MSc degree in Life Sciences at the weizmann Institute of Science.
PhD at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
Postdoc in the Center for Theoretical Neuroscience in Columbia University with Profs. Stefano Fusi and Larry Abbot, researching the distributed nature of neuronal representations.
Participated in the Technion Excellence Program: October 2000 – Jun 2003.
Omri took many courses from Bio-Medical Engineering faculty and studied advanced courses in mathematics.
He participated in a research project: “modeling dynamics of protein concentration in yeast population” under the guidance of Prof. Erez Braun from the Physics faculty and Dr. Naama Brenner from the Chemistry Engineering faculty.
Omri finished his MSc in Life Science (Computational Neuroscience) with Prof. Misha Tsodyks at the weizmann Institute. Thesis title: “Recognition by Variance: Learning Rules for Spatiotemporal Patterns”.
His PhD thesis: “Working memory in recurrent neural networks with dynamic synapses” was under the supervision of Misha Tsodyks at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
– Melamed O, Barak O, Silberberg G, Markram H, Tsodyks M. Slow oscillations in neural networks with
facilitating synapses. J Comput Neurosci., 2008 May 16. [Epub ahead of print].
– G. Mongillo*, O. Barak* & M. Tsodyks. Synaptic theory of working memory. Science. 2008 Mar 14;
319(5869):1543-6 (*equal contribution)
– O. Barak & M. Tsodyks. Persistent activity in neural networks with dynamic synapses. PLoS Comput
Biol. 2007 Feb 23;3(2)
– Mokeichev A., Okun M., Barak O., Katz Y., Ben-Shahar O., Lampl, I. Stochastic emergence of repeating
cortical motifs in spontaneous membrane potential fluctuations in-vivo Neuron 2007 Feb 1;53(3):413-25.
– O. Barak & M. Tsodyks. Recognition by Variance: Learning Rules for Spatiotemporal Patterns. Neural
Computation, Neural Comput. 18(10):2343-58. (2006)
– Szwed M., Bagdasarian K., Blumenfeld B., Barak O., Derdikman D. and Ahissar E. Responses of
trigeminal ganglion neurons to the radial distance of contact during active vibrissal touch. J Neurophysiol.
Today (October 2012): A senior lecturer at the medicine faculty in the Technion.