First degree in Computer Engineering (in the Electrical Engineering faculty) and Physics at the Technion.
MSc in Computer Science at the Technion.
PhD in Computer Science at the Technion, 2013, under the guidance of Prof. Ran El-Yaniv. Research topic: “Theoretical Foundations of Selective Prediction”.
Participated in the Technion Excellence Program: March 1998 – July 2001
Yair, as a Program member, was able to study for two first degrees (in computer engineering and physics), take courses from advanced studies and to conduct a research together with Dr. Yitzhak Birk from the Electrical Engineering faculty. He published the following paper:
Yitzhak Birk and Yair Wiener, “A bucket-interleaving multiplexer for efficient near-on-demand streaming to resource-constrained clients”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME) ’02, Lausanne, Switzerland, Aug. 2002.
Recommendation to program participants: “take advantage of the many possibilities the program has to offer. One of the benefits is the rare opportunity to meet amazing people, interested in different areas. Get into research as soon as possible, expand your curriculum and include courses from advance studies and different faculties. Follow your interests”.
Today (2019): Founder and CEO of the start-up company Jether Energy Research. The company deals in trade of physical electricity in global energy markets while using mathematical models.
Yair’s main articles:
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “On the version space compression set size and its applications”, Measures of Complexity, 341-357, 2015
- Yair Wiener, Steve Hanneke, Ran El-Yaniv, “A compression technique for analyzing disagreement-based active learning”, JMLR, 2015
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “Agnostic Pointwise-Competitive Selective Classification”, JAIR, 2015
- Yair Wiener, “Theoretical Foundations of Selective Prediction”, PhD Thesis, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, 2013
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “Active Learning via Perfect Selective Classification”, JMLR, 2012
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “Pointwise Tracking the Optimal Regression Function”, NIPS, 2012
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “Agnostic Selective Prediction”, NIPS, 2011
- Yair Wiener, Ran El-Yaniv, “On the Foundations of Noise-free Selective Classification”, JMLR, 2010